Wednesday, January 4, 2012

In sickness and in health...

















About 2 or 3 weeks ago, John got sick. Some kind of bizarro cold thing that took hold and didn't let go... for like a week. It sucked on so many levels. For starters, John hates being sick. Now I know nobody necessarily likes it, but John really truly can't effing stand it - and he's not very good at the whole sick thing either. He's generally too mopey and/or exhausted to really enjoy the opportunity to just sit back and do virtually nothing. He also apologizes profusely because I have to pick up his slack in the cooking/chores/pups departments. Despite me telling him not to apologize, and that it's my pleasure, and that I know he'd do the same thing for me, the apologies keep coming.

Anyway, cut to about a week ago, and I am hit hard... crazy hard... with a really bad bout of the stomach flu. It was as if someone told every atom of food and fecal matter in my body to run... not walk to the nearest exits... those being my ass and my mouth. It was by far the most violent illness I've had in recent memory. For the first night, I didn't sleep. This was not by choice. I stayed up the entire night watching old episodes of Grey's Anatomy in-between what seemed like millions of trips to the bathroom. For John, this was payback time. He got to take care of me - and when my illness proved to be shorter-lived than his, he insisted on continuing to take care of me, despite the fact that I was perfectly capable. (Now perhaps you're the nauseous one).

Anyway, We often find ourselves feeling incredibly grateful that we're not sick simultaneously for obvious reasons.

What the hell does this have to do with having children you ask?

Well, I've noticed that families with young children seem to get sick as a family - as in all at the same time, and this prospect is truly terrifying.

What do you do as a family when not a single one of you is capable of doing anything at all? Starve? Drown in your own dirt? Cry?

Ick.

P.S. Aren't you glad I didn't find an image better suited to this post?

4 comments:

  1. hahahhaha - ugh. the only good thing about a stomach flu is that it's a great way to cleanse... perfect timing for a new year's resolution.

    i don't have kids - for this reason - those little bastards pick up all sorts of germs and crap. who needs that horseshit? not me!

    p.s. i love your little doggies and hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's see...The DH and I have been taken out simultaneously, at which point MIL took the kids off our hands for a couple days (bless her!). And there have been times where only one parent has been left standing to watch over two sick kids and an out of commission spouse, but...knock on wood...in 11.5 years, never has my entire family been sick all at the same time. I don't even know what I'd do. Starve, cry, sounds about right. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing Fiona... that's sort of slightly a bit comforting. :) Hope your entire family never gets sick all at once.

    Simone - Would love to see you soon! Looks like you'll have plenty of free time. Congrats again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I have to say that my parents almost never got sick alongside 'us kids'. My dad has, to this day, never had the chicken pox. My sister and I have, of course. But, all in all, my parents were refreshingly free from all manner of flu type illnesses throughout the duration of my childhood.

    ReplyDelete