Saturday, August 14, 2010

The hardest thing about having kids according to Louis C.K.



















Sadly, I don't think many people are watching Louis C.K.'s new show "Louie." It's a bit dark a bit cerebral and a bit scattered. I watched the first episode thinking, WTF? This isn't that great, but John and I kept watching and I've found that I am enjoying it more and more with every new episode.

Anyway, the last episode began with Louis' stand-up and it went a little something like this:

"The hardest thing about having kids is just the days that you spend with them. That's really the hardest part. It's every day. It's getting up at 6 o'clock in the morning. First of all, I have to get them dressed. If that's the only thing I get done, I'll be okay, 'cause if I show up with two naked kids, I'll go to jail."

Sounds a bit bleak, right? But then he says this:

"When they're not with me I get depressed. I tend to fall into a spiral of uselessness."

Immediately after wrapping that bit, he drops the kids off at his ex-wife's place and goes on a serious pizza and ice cream bender.

Anyway, this resonated with me because I think I get it. Once you have kids - there's part of you that's like... ohmygod. I have to deal with this little human being now every single day, on top of dealing with myself. And I'm sure it's incredibly frustrating at times... but at the same time, you're so in love with the little bugger that the thought of not having them to 'deal with' is pretty devastating.

Another argument in favor of kidding?

2 comments:

  1. In a way, I wish I had thought about this more seriously and from this point of view before I had a kid. When I remember back to those pre-kid days, when I still was able to sleep and going out to the grocery store at 9 o'clock at night didn't seem like such an imposition, I remember how blissfully stupid and unaware I really was. Instead of throwing clothes on and being out the door in 10 minutes, it takes at least a good hour. And that's without makeup.

    He's right on with the way you feel when they're not around, too. My kid isn't separate from me by divorce, just because I'm a working mother. It's a pain in the neck. And on top of it, you can feel your uselessness and feel guilty, irresponsible and reckless because of it. A whole fat bag of luggage that was never there before.

    Maybe I should try to be more positive and more convincing, you know, to bring more unsuspecting people into the parenting flock. But I certainly don't want to interrupt someone actually thinking it through first when so many people don't.

    Oh wait - an argument in favor is this: they smile at you with complete love and adoration in their eyes and you fall head over heels in love with them. Every. Single. Day. Except on the days when they're hell on wheels. And then you only fall in love, not head over heels. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had to have kids, because we had monsters under the bed, and no one to be scared of them.

    ReplyDelete